Urinary Tract Infection
Poor clinical outcomes linked to extended spectrum cephalosporin-resistant Enterobacteriaceae.
A multiplex polymerase chain reaction assay detected bacteria species missed by traditional urine culture as well as more fastidious bacteria.
To investigate the risk of cardiovascular adverse effects associated with this antibiotic class, researchers conducted a systematic review, meta-analysis, and network meta-analysis using studies identified through a search of MEDLINE, EMBASE, and the Cochrane Library.
Results from phase 2 study in patients with multidrug-resistant Gram-negative uropathogens.
Depletion of Lactobacillus iners in the bladder appears to increase the risk of urinary tract infection following urogynecologic surgery, study finds.
During a 12-month study, women who drank 1.5 L of water daily in addition to their usual fluid intake reduced their mean number of cystitis episodes nearly by half.
Zemdri carries a Boxed Warning describing reports of nephrotoxicity, ototoxicity, and neuromuscular blockade, as well as fetal harm if administered during pregnancy.
Changes will describe hypoglycemic coma and clarify and identify mental health side effects.
Plazomicin, an aminoglycoside, was approved for treating complicated urinary tract infections in adults due to certain Enterobacteriaceae.
1. The study reports the development of a clinical and biochemical prediction tool for assessing the risk of urinary tract infection in preverbal children with fever. The model developed accurately predicted which patients may need further testing based on clinical variables, and who may need antibiotics therapy based on urine analysis supplement. 2. In a 
In a study of women with uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections, 70% of patients treated with nitrofurantoin had complete symptom resolution at 28 days vs 58% of those treated with fosfomycin.
Calculator reduces testing and decreases the number of urinary tract infections that were missed
Meropenem-vaborbactam non-inferior to piperacillin-tazobactam for complicated urinary tract infections: The TANGO I trialMarch 02, 2018
1. In this randomized controlled trial, meropenem-vaborbactam was found to be non-inferior to piperacillin-tazobactam for treating complicated urinary tract infections (UTIs). 2. The rate of adverse events were similar between groups. Evidence Rating Level: 1 (Excellent) Study Rundown: As carbapenemases become more prevalent among organisms that cause complicated Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs), the need for 
Overall treatment success occurred in 98.4% of patients receiving meropenem-vaborbactam vs 94% for those receiving piperacillin-tazobactam.
A Charlson Comorbidity Index score of 2 or higher is an independent risk factor for urinary tract infections within 90 days following radical cystectomy for bladder cancer, study finds.
Nitrofurantoin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole prescribed first trimester despite ACOG recs.
Confusion independently associated with receipt of antibiotics for UTI in nursing home residents.
Study shows test is sensitive and specific in infants younger than 60 days old.
No worse sexual or urinary function, but incidence of urethral stricture higher than swimmers/runners.
New analysis finds that female sex and non-dilating vesicoureteral reflux are independently associated with an increased risk of bladder and bowel dysfunction.
Symptom resolution at day 3 was met by 54% in the diclofenac group vs 80% in the norfloxacin group.
Almost one-fourth of retail poultry contains E. coli strains associated with urinary tract infections
Kidney transplant recipients who experience recurrent urinary tract infections are at increased risk of graft failure and death.
Vabomere, which combines meropenem and vaborbactam, demonstrated superior efficacy to piperacillin/tazobactam.
In a study of renal transplant patients who received ureteral stents, ciprofloxacin did not lower the incidence of UTI compared with SMX-TMP.
The researchers reaffirmed the 2011 UTI clinical practice guideline on infants and young children and reiterated the seven key action statements.
Meropenem-vaborbactam has the potential to be an important new drug in the treatment of patients with serious infections due to resistant organisms.
The researchers found no significant difference in the percent of women who had bacteriuria plus pyuria among those taking cranberry capsules or placebo.
The prevalence of UTI was 7.8% in infants tested for automated microscopic urinalysis.
In a study of 189 adult UTI patients who underwent CT scans, investigators identified bacteremia in 40.2%.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- The Threat From Within: Most Breaches Due to Employee Errors
- Radical Prostatectomy Has Lasting Benefit for Localized Cancer
- Poor Vitamin K Status Linked to Low BMD, Increased Fracture Risk in ESRD
- Serum Phosphate at Dialysis Start Tied With Mortality
- Veterans Health Administration Hospitals Outperform Non-VHAs
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)