Generic Name and Formulations:
Propranolol HCl, hydrochlorothiazide; 40mg/25mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Propranolol/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Titrate individual components.
Asthma. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. CHF. Cardiogenic shock. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy.
Overt heart failure. Ischemic heart disease. Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Bronchospasm, COPD. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Gout. Diabetes. Postsympathectomy. Hyperthyroidism. Monitor electrolytes. Surgery. SLE. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Noncardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Potentiated by alcohol, CNS depressants, other antihypertensives, antithyroid drugs, haloperidol, chlorpromazine, cimetidine. Bradycardia with catecholamine-depleting drugs. Antagonized by NSAIDs, barbiturates, rifampin, phenytoin. Potentiates antipyrine, lidocaine, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants, theophylline. Adjust antidiabetic medication. May increase cardiac effects of calcium channel blockers, lidocaine, diazoxide, digitalis, lithium. Amphotericin B, ACTH, corticosteroids increase hypokalemia risk. May interfere with parathyroid, glaucoma screening tests. May block epinephrine.
Heart failure, bronchospasm, bradycardia, heart block, fatigue, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, GI upset, depression, skin reactions (eg, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, urticaria), photosensitivity, pharyngitis, agranulocytosis.
Formerly known under the brand name Inderide.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Phosphate Binders Lower Infection-Related Death Risk in HD
- Acute Renal Failure in CKD Patients Less Likely With PCI
- Cytoreductive Surgery for Metastatic PCa Linked to More Complications
- Gout Associated With Increased Risk of Developing Erectile Dysfunction
- Prostate Cancer Diagnoses Increase Men's Suicide Risk
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)