Nimodipine Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nimodipine 30mg; soft-gel caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nimodipine Capsules:
To improve neurological outcome of subarachnoid hemorrhage from ruptured intracranial berry aneurysms, regardless of post-ictus neurological condition.
Take on empty stomach. 60mg every 4 hours for 21 consecutive days. Start within 96 hours of subarachnoid hemorrhage. If oral therapy is not feasible, may extract capsule contents into a syringe and give via in situ NG tube, then flush tube with normal saline. Hepatic impairment: 30mg every 4 hours; monitor.
Not for IV or other parenteral administration (may be fatal). Hepatic impairment. Monitor BP, heart rate. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB).
May potentiate other calcium channel blockers. Potentiated by cimetidine.
Decreased blood pressure, GI upset, headache, bradycardia, flushing, edema, rash; rare: intestinal pseudo-obstruction and ileus.
Formerly known under the brand name Nimotop.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- FDA Recalls Drugs Containing Active Ingredient Valsartan
- Correcting Metabolic Acidosis May Preserve Muscle Mass
- Infection Risk Lower in Dialysis Patients With High, Normal Vitamin D
- Urine Cytology May Not Improve Hematuria Evaluation for Bladder Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Warranted for Gleason 10 Prostate Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)