NICODERM CQ OTC
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine 7mg/24hr, 14mg/24hr, 21mg/24hr; transdermal patch (clear or original color).
Indications for NICODERM CQ:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
Apply to clean, dry, nonhairy site on trunk or upper outer arm; rotate application site. Remove patch after 16 or 24 hours; if vivid dreams or other sleep disturbances occur, remove at bedtime and reapply in AM. >10cigarettes/day: initially one 21mg patch daily for 6 weeks; then one 14mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop. ≤10cigarettes/day: initially one 14mg patch daily for 6 weeks then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concurrent smoking or use of other nicotine products.
Avoid immediately post-MI, in arrhythmias, or severe or worsening angina pectoris. Uncontrolled hypertension. Vasospastic or coronary heart disease. Hepatic or severe renal impairment. Hyperthyroidism. Pheochromocytoma. Stomach ulcers. Diabetes. Allergy to adhesive tape, other skin problems. History of seizures. Discontinue if an allergic reaction occurs. Low doses may be toxic to children and pets. Pregnancy: not recommended (attempt nondrug treatment first). Nursing mothers.
Smoking cessation potentiates theophylline, insulin, β-blockers, pentazocine, oxazepam, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine), caffeine, acetaminophen, adrenergic antagonists (eg, prazosin, labetalol), others. Smoking cessation antagonizes adrenergic agonists (eg, isoproterenol, phenylephrine), others.
Local irritation, GI upset, headache, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension.
Patch 7mg—14; 14mg—14, 21; 21mg—7, 14, 21
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Kidney Damage in Younger Adults Tied to NSAID Use
- Dialysis and Transplant Patients at Increased Risk for Cancer Death
- Guidelines Updated for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension in Adults
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Darolutamide Improves Metastasis-Free Survival in CRPC
- Prednisone to Blame for ERA 223 Trial Failure?
- Clinicians Somewhat Favor Shared Decision-Making in Older mCRPC Patients
- Higher Push-Up Capacity Linked to Lower Incidence of CVD Events
- Pembrolizumab Shows Promise for BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer
- Radical Cystectomy Superior to Trimodal Therapy for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)