Generic Name and Formulations:
Primidone 50mg, 250mg; scored tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for MYSOLINE:
Tonic-clonic, focal and psychomotor seizures.
Initially: 100–125mg at bedtime. Increase every 3 days if needed by 100–125mg daily to 3 times daily on day 7. On day 10, increase to 250mg 3 times daily; max 2g daily in divided doses.
<8yrs: initially 50mg at bedtime. On day 4, increase if needed to 50mg twice daily. On day 7, to 100mg twice daily. On day 10, to 125–250mg 3 times daily. Usual maintenance: 100–250mg 3 times daily or 10–25mg/kg/day in divided doses. ≥8yrs: as adult.
Porphyria. Barbiturate hypersensitivity.
Impaired liver function. Change dose gradually. Monitor blood counts, electrolytes. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated with alcohol and other CNS depressants. Antagonizes oral anticoagulants and contraceptives, steroids, Vit. K and D, griseofulvin, doxycycline. Variable effects with phenytoin, valproic acid, divalproex. Potentiated by MAOIs. Antagonizes tricyclic antidepressants.
Drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, nystagmus, neonatal hemorrhage and withdrawal, nausea, vomiting, rash, megaloblastic anemia sensitive to folic acid, emotional disorders, impotence.
Tabs 50mg—100, 500; 250mg—100, 1000
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Phosphate Binders Lower Infection-Related Death Risk in HD
- Acute Renal Failure in CKD Patients Less Likely With PCI
- Gout Associated With Increased Risk of Developing Erectile Dysfunction
- More Targeted Sodium Reduction Strategies Proposed
- Cytoreductive Surgery for Metastatic PCa Linked to More Complications
- FDA Recalls Drugs Containing Active Ingredient Valsartan
- Correcting Metabolic Acidosis May Preserve Muscle Mass
- Infection Risk Lower in Dialysis Patients With High, Normal Vitamin D
- Urine Cytology May Not Improve Hematuria Evaluation for Bladder Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Warranted for Gleason 10 Prostate Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)