Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyl aminolevulinate 16.8%; crm.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for METVIXIA:
For treatment of thin and moderately thick, non-hyperkeratotic, non-pigmented actinic keratoses of the face and scalp in immunocompetent patients, in combination with Aktilite CL128 lamp red light illumination.
See literature. Surface of lesion should be prepared before applying. Use nitrile gloves. Apply a layer of cream about 1mm thick to lesion and surrounding 5mm of normal skin. Do not apply more than 1g (half tube) per treatment session. Cover area with occlusive, non-absorbent dressing for 3 hours. Multiple lesions may be treated during the same session. Remove occlusive dressing and clean area with saline and gauze. Position Aktilite CL128 lamp. Required illumination time: 7–10 minutes. Keep area covered and away from light for at least 48 hours after. Two treatment sessions one week apart should be administered. Assess lesion response 3 months after the last treatment session.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cutaneous photosensitivity. Porphyrin, peanut, or almond oil allergy.
Do not apply to eyes, mucous membranes. Avoid exposure to sunlight or bright indoor light during the period prior to Aktilite red light treatment. If red light treatment cannot be administered, remove cream and protect skin from sunlight or intense light for two days. Coagulation defects. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive photosensitivity possible with concomitant photosensitizing agents.
Erythema, pain, burning and discomfort, pruritus, scabbing, crusting and erosions, edema and exfoliation of skin.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Gadolinium-Based Contrast May Up Acute Kidney Injury Risk in CKD
- Delayed Prostate Cancer Treatment May Up Relapse Risk
- Review: Desmopressin Decreases Nocturia Episodes
- Surgery, Radiation Regimens for High-Grade PCa Offer Similar Outcomes
- Salvage Prostatectomy May Benefit Some Prostate Cancer Patients
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)