Generic Name and Formulations:
Eszopiclone 1mg, 2mg, 3mg; tabs.
Indications for LUNESTA:
Insomnia (decreased sleep latency and improved sleep maintenance).
Use lowest effective dose. ≥18yrs: Initially 1mg immediately before bedtime [take only if able to get full night's sleep (7–8hrs) before becoming active again]; may increase to 2–3mg if needed; max 3mg/dose. Elderly, debilitated, concomitant CYP3A4 inhibitors (see Interactions), or severe hepatic impairment: max 2mg/dose. Effect delayed if taken with heavy/high-fat meals.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for excess CNS depressant effects and impairment. Depression. Abnormal thinking and behavioral changes. Drug or alcohol abuse. Compromised respiratory function. Conditions that affect metabolism or hemodynamic response. Severe hepatic impairment. Avoid abrupt cessation. Reevaluate if unresponsive after 7–10 days of treatment. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant other sedative-hypnotics at bedtime or middle of the night: not recommended. Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants; adjust dose. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, nefazodone, troleandomycin, ritonavir, nelfinavir); reduce eszopiclone dose. May be antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampicin).
Unpleasant taste, headache, somnolence, dizziness, dry mouth, infection, rash, anxiety, hallucinations, pain; complex sleep-related behaviors (eg, sleep-driving; consider discontinuing if occurs); rare: anaphylaxis, angioedema, others (see full labeling).
Tabs 1mg—30; 2mg, 3mg—100
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Pembrolizumab Shows Promise for BCG-Unresponsive Bladder Cancer
- Radical Cystectomy Superior to Trimodal Therapy for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Dialysis and Transplant Patients at Increased Risk for Cancer Death
- Tivozanib Offers Superior Outcomes in Refractory Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Radiation, Chemotherapy Not Beneficial in Localized Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)