Low Serum or Plasma Sodium
Increase in extracellular fluid volume as produced by congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and ascites, producing dilutional hyponatremia
GI loss of sodium from vomiting, diarrhea, or malabsorption, especially with replacement of fluid and not electrolytes
Renal sodium loss from diuretic use or chronic renal insufficiency
Addison's disease producing adrenal insufficiency
Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH), as caused by a CNS lesion, pulmonary disease, carcinoma, porphyria
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests for the presence of congestive heart failure and cirrhosis
Indicators of renal function, such as creatinine and BUN
Serum aldosterone level
Serum or plasma BUN, and urine sodium and osmolarity, are valuable in demonstrating hyponatremia and differentiating among the causes of hyponatremia.
In SIADH, both urine sodium and urine osmolarity are increased.
In the presence of a diuretic inducing hyponatremia, urine sodium is increased, but urine osmolarity is usually isotonic to plasma.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Hemodialysis Facility Practices Linked to Patient Outcomes
- Dialysis Staff-Initiated CPR Ups Outcomes in Cardiac Arrest
- Guidelines Updated for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension in Adults
- Cinacalcet May Delay Surgery for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
- Peritoneal Dialysis Superior for Easing Post-PTx Hungry Bone Syndrome
- Radium-223 Use in mCRPC Differs By Race
- Brachytherapy for Favorable-Risk Prostate Cancer Continues to Decline
- Kidney Damage in Younger Adults Tied to NSAID Use
- Abiraterone, Prednisone With Androgen Deprivation Therapy Show Durable Efficacy in Metastatic Castration-Naive Prostate Cancer
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)