INR Above or Below the Therapeutic Range
Increased INR, Coumadin over-dosage; low INR, inadequate Coumadin dosage
Clinical conditions that increase Coumadin effect and elevate INR include:
Low vitamin K intake
Poor nutritional state
Congestive heart failure
Connective tissue diseases
Conditions known to decrease Coumadin effect and decrease INR include:
High vitamin K intake
Many drugs are known to increase warfarin effect and elevate INR:
Effects may be dose-dependent & may not occur in all pts receiving Coumadin & the drug mentioned.
Drugs in this category include carbenicillin, allopurinol, erythromycin, indomethacin, ibuprofen, fluconazole, fenoprofen, isoniazid, ketoconazole, naproxen, metronidazole, phenylbutazone, moxalactam, cephalosporins, trimethoprim-sulfa (Bactrim), amiodarone, quinidine, cimetidine, clofibrate, lovastatin, omeprazole, phenytoin, tamoxifen, thyroxine, quinolones, rofecoxib, celecoxib.Drugs that can decrease warfarin effect & lower INR in some pts include antacids, antihistamines, barbiturates, rifampin, sucralfate, trazodone, carbamazepine, cholestyramine, griseofulvin, haloperidol, oral contraceptives, penicillin, dicloxacillin, and nafcillin.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Most important: INR value on a daily basis until patient shows a consistent value within therapeutic range at least 2 or 3 times.
Monitoring is then less frequent but at least 1 times per month.
Lab tests may be helpful in uncovering other conditions, such as liver disease, which lowers the level of coagulation factors and makes therapeutic anticoagulation difficult. Pharmacogenomics testing is a consideration, either before initiation of warfarin, shortly after initiation, or for patients with apparent hypersensitivity to warfarin.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Hemodialysis Facility Practices Linked to Patient Outcomes
- Guidelines Updated for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension in Adults
- Dialysis Staff-Initiated CPR Ups Outcomes in Cardiac Arrest
- Cinacalcet May Delay Surgery for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
- Peritoneal Dialysis Superior for Easing Post-PTx Hungry Bone Syndrome
- Radium-223 Use in mCRPC Differs By Race
- Brachytherapy for Favorable-Risk Prostate Cancer Continues to Decline
- Kidney Damage in Younger Adults Tied to NSAID Use
- Abiraterone, Prednisone With Androgen Deprivation Therapy Show Durable Efficacy in Metastatic Castration-Naive Prostate Cancer
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)