Generic Name and Formulations:
Sapropterin dihydrochloride 100mg; tabs.
Indications for KUVAN:
In conjunction with a phenylalanine (Phe)-restricted diet: To reduce blood Phe levels in hyperphenylalaninemia (HPA) due to tetrahydrobiopterin- (BH4-) responsive phenylketonuria (PKU).
Adults and Children:
<1 month: consult manufacturer. Take with food at same time each day. Dissolve tab in 4–8oz water or apple juice (may crush tab) and drink within 15 mins (tab may not completely dissolve). 1 month–6yrs: Initially 10mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response may increase to 20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. ≥7yrs: 10–20mg/kg once daily; if inadequate response after 1 month, discontinue. Usual range 5–20mg/kg per day; adjust based on blood Phe levels.
Monitor blood levels of Phe after 1 week to assess effect, then periodically. Discontinue if anaphylaxis occurs. Maintain Phe-restricted diet. Monitor BP and change in neurologic status. Hepatic or renal impairment; monitor. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Enzyme cofactor (BH4).
Caution with drugs that can inhibit folate metabolism (eg, methotrexate), PDE-5 inhibitors (eg, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), other nitric oxide donors, levodopa; monitor. May potentiate drugs that are P-gp or BCRP substrates.
Headache, rhinorrhea, pharyngolaryngeal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, cough, nasal congestion, gastritis, hypophenylalaninemia, hyperactivity (monitor).
Tabs—120; Packet—1, 30
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Phosphate Binders Lower Infection-Related Death Risk in HD
- Acute Renal Failure in CKD Patients Less Likely With PCI
- Cytoreductive Surgery for Metastatic PCa Linked to More Complications
- Gout Associated With Increased Risk of Developing Erectile Dysfunction
- Prostate Cancer Diagnoses Increase Men's Suicide Risk
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)