An estimated 16,000 to 17,000 urologists and other practitioners are expected to attend the 2019 annual meeting of the American Urological Association (AUA), the largest urology meeting in the world. The meeting, which is being held at McCormick Place in Chicago from May 3 to 6, will feature in excess of 2500 scientific posters and podium and video presentations, including 31 late-breaker abstracts, as well as more than 40 hours of plenary session programming.
AUA secretary Manoj Monga, MD, from the Cleveland Clinic, said the organizers of this year’s conference developed an educational program consistent with that of the past few annual meetings, with a focus on interactive dynamic debates and panel discussions of instructive cases to provide urologists with practical clinical training and insight.
Additionally, the scientific program will have a strong emphasis on surgical education using semi-live videos, “and through that medium, we are able to discuss not only variations in approach to surgical therapies, but also identifying, anticipating, and preventing surgical mishaps,” Dr Monga said.
New this year is a plenary session addressing opioid addiction in the United States. This will be a panel discussion titled “Opioids and Urology” focusing on how the opioid epidemic impacts urology patients, Dr Monga said. That session runs from 8:35 AM-9:20 AM in MCP:W375e.
Other highlights from the plenary program include:
· Surgical Techniques: Tips & Tricks: Minimally Invasive Therapies for LUTS (May 3, 1:00 PM-2:15 PM Location: MCP:W375e)
· Surgical Techniques: Tips & Tricks: Oncology (May 3, 4:45 PM-5:45 PM Location: MCP:W375e)
· Court is in Session: Clinical Lessons Through a Legal Lens (May 3, 2:15-3:15 PM Location: MCP:W375e)
· Presidential Address: Urologic Research: Why is it So important? (May 4, 9:20 AM-9:40 AM Location: MCP:W375e)
· State-of-the Art Lecture: Burnout (May 4, 1:25 PM-1:40 PM Location: MCP:W375d).
· Clinical Controversies in Men’s Health (May 4, 3 PM-5 PM Location: MCP:W471)
· Panel Discussion: Novel Therapies for Erectile Dysfunction and Peyronie’s Disease (May 5, 7:40 AM-8:10 AM Location: MCP:W375e)
· Panel Discussion: The Urinary Microbiome and Stone Disease (May 5, 8:35 AM-9 AM Location: MCP:W375d)
· AUA Guidelines Update: Surgical Management of BPH (May 5, 11:19-11:30 AM Location: MCP:W375d)