Genitourinary Cancers Symposium Annual Meeting Coverage
Study shows that black men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer may be experiencing a delay in receiving radium-223 compared with nonblack men.
Among men receiving radiation therapy for prostate cancer, the proportion of those receiving brachytherapy dropped from 59.3% to 34.7% from 2004 to 2014, a study found.
Abiraterone, Prednisone With Androgen Deprivation Therapy Show Durable Efficacy in Metastatic Castration-Naive Prostate Cancer
At a median follow-up of nearly 52 months, the treatment regimen deceased mortality risk among men with high-risk metastatic castration-naive prostate cancer by 30%.
By targeting prostate-specific membrane antigen, a molecule radiolabeled with lutetium-177 is expected to deliver high doses of beta radiation to distant metastases.
After an additional 1 year of follow-up, apalutamide plus ADT continued to show a significant decrease in the risk of progression to metastasis or death.
The Decipher genomic classifier predicted metastases and prostate cancer-specific mortality following radical prostatectomy with greater precision in African-American men.
The study is the first to show that treatment with abiraterone acetate/enzalutamide is associated with better survival in African American patients with mCRPC compared with Caucasians.
Treatment-naïve patients with advanced clear-cell renal cell carcinoma had significantly longer progression-free survival when treated with pazopanib instead of temsirolimus.
Added to hormone therapy, docetaxel offers a cost effective way to prolong hormone-sensitive disease and improve quality of life years, especially among men with non-metastatic disease, study finds.
Patients with bladder adenocarcinomas have the best survival, whereas those with small cell carcinomas of the bladder have the worst.
The safety and efficacy of nivolumab for treating metastatic renal cell carcinoma is comparable to that found in the CheckMate 025 trial.
In a phase Ib study, dual therapy with axitinib and pembrolizumab was well tolerated and demonstrated antitumor activity in treatment-naïve patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma.
Study reveals a 38% decreased risk of death in patients with papillary metastatic renal cell carcinoma who undergo cytoreductive nephrectomy vs those who do not.
Immunotherapy with atezolizumab plus targeted therapy with bevacizumab improves progression-free survival better than sunitinib in patients with untreated metastatic renal cell carcinoma.
In a small phase 2 study of overweight men with recurrent prostate cancer, consuming less than 20 grams of carbohydrates a day resulted in profound weight loss.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Hemodialysis Facility Practices Linked to Patient Outcomes
- Guidelines Updated for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension in Adults
- Dialysis Staff-Initiated CPR Ups Outcomes in Cardiac Arrest
- Cinacalcet May Delay Surgery for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
- Peritoneal Dialysis Superior for Easing Post-PTx Hungry Bone Syndrome
- Radium-223 Use in mCRPC Differs By Race
- Brachytherapy for Favorable-Risk Prostate Cancer Continues to Decline
- Kidney Damage in Younger Adults Tied to NSAID Use
- Abiraterone, Prednisone With Androgen Deprivation Therapy Show Durable Efficacy in Metastatic Castration-Naive Prostate Cancer
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)