Generic Name and Formulations:
Estramustine phosphate sodium (prodrug of estradiol) 140mg; caps.
Indications for EMCYT:
Palliative of metastatic, progressive prostate cancer.
Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. 14mg/kg in 3 or 4 divided doses; reevaluate after 30 to 90 days. Continue as long as favorable response maintained.
Active thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders (except when tumor mass caused by thromboembolic phenomenon). Allergy to estradiol, nitrogen mustard.
History of thrombophlebitis, thrombosis, thromboembolic disorders. Cerebro- or cardiovascular disease. Diabetes. Hypertension. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Monitor bilirubin and hepatic enzymes during and for 2 months after treatment is discontinued. Metabolic bone diseases associated with hypercalcemia. Use effective contraception.
Absorption impaired by calcium.
Edema, dyspnea, leg cramps; nausea, diarrhea, GI upset; pruritus, dry skin, easy bruising; breast tenderness and enlargement; lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia; leucopenia; abnormal bilirubin, LDH, SGOT. Thrombosis, MI.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Phosphate Binders Lower Infection-Related Death Risk in HD
- Acute Renal Failure in CKD Patients Less Likely With PCI
- Gout Associated With Increased Risk of Developing Erectile Dysfunction
- More Targeted Sodium Reduction Strategies Proposed
- Cytoreductive Surgery for Metastatic PCa Linked to More Complications
- FDA Recalls Drugs Containing Active Ingredient Valsartan
- Correcting Metabolic Acidosis May Preserve Muscle Mass
- Infection Risk Lower in Dialysis Patients With High, Normal Vitamin D
- Urine Cytology May Not Improve Hematuria Evaluation for Bladder Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Warranted for Gleason 10 Prostate Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)