Generic Name and Formulations:
Estramustine phosphate sodium (prodrug of estradiol) 140mg; caps.
Indications for EMCYT:
Palliative of metastatic, progressive prostate cancer.
Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. 14mg/kg in 3 or 4 divided doses; reevaluate after 30 to 90 days. Continue as long as favorable response maintained.
Active thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders (except when tumor mass caused by thromboembolic phenomenon). Allergy to estradiol, nitrogen mustard.
History of thrombophlebitis, thrombosis, thromboembolic disorders. Cerebro- or cardiovascular disease. Diabetes. Hypertension. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Monitor bilirubin and hepatic enzymes during and for 2 months after treatment is discontinued. Metabolic bone diseases associated with hypercalcemia. Use effective contraception.
Absorption impaired by calcium.
Edema, dyspnea, leg cramps; nausea, diarrhea, GI upset; pruritus, dry skin, easy bruising; breast tenderness and enlargement; lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia; leucopenia; abnormal bilirubin, LDH, SGOT. Thrombosis, MI.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Obesity Linked With Improved Survival in mCRPC
- Radium-223 Use in mCRPC Differs By Race
- Brachytherapy for Favorable-Risk Prostate Cancer Continues to Decline
- Kidney Damage in Younger Adults Tied to NSAID Use
- Abiraterone, Prednisone With Androgen Deprivation Therapy Show Durable Efficacy in Metastatic Castration-Naive Prostate Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)