ARMOUR THYROID Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Thyroid 15mg (¼ grain), 30mg (½ grain), 60mg (1 grain), 90mg (1 + ½ grain), 120mg (2 grains), 180mg (3 grains)+, 240mg (4 grains), 300mg (5 grains)+; tabs; +scored. Each grain of thyroid contains liothyronine (T3) 9mcg and levothyroxine (T4) 38mcg.
Indications for ARMOUR THYROID:
Hypothyroidism: initially 30mg daily (long-standing myxedema: initially 15mg daily); increase by 15mg every 2–3 weeks; usual maintenance: 60–120mg daily. Myxedema coma: see literature.
Hypothyroidism: <6months: 4.8–6mg/kg daily. 6–12months: 3.6–4.8mg/kg daily; 1–5yrs: 3–3.6mg/kg daily; 6–12yrs: 2.4–3mg/kg daily; ≥12yrs: 1.2–1.8mg/kg daily.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis.
Not for treatment of obesity. Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: use lower initial dose. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Monitor for craniosynostosis in infants. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
T3 and T4 (porcine derived).
Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Toxicity with large doses of sympathomimetics (e.g., anorectics).
Hyperthyroidism, transient hair loss in children.
Tabs 15mg, 90mg, 240mg, 300mg—100; 30mg, 120mg, 180mg—100, 1000; 60mg—100, 1000, 5000
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Gadolinium-Based Contrast May Up Acute Kidney Injury Risk in CKD
- Delayed Prostate Cancer Treatment May Up Relapse Risk
- Review: Desmopressin Decreases Nocturia Episodes
- Surgery, Radiation Regimens for High-Grade PCa Offer Similar Outcomes
- Salvage Prostatectomy May Benefit Some Prostate Cancer Patients
- Changes in Renal Cell Carcinoma Pathologic Staging and Histologic Grading
- Nocturia, Overactive Bladder Improved With PTNS
- Many Americans Unaware of Promise of Personalized Medicine
- Noninferior CV Outcomes for Linagliptin in T2D With High CV, Renal Risk
- VDRAs Do Not Lower Cardiovascular Event Risk in HD
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)