Generic Name and Formulations:
Fenofibrate 43mg, 130mg; caps.
Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ANTARA:
Adjunct to diet when response to nondrug therapy is inadequate in hypertriglyceridemia, and to reduce elevated total-C, LDL-C, apo B, and TG, and to increase HDL-C, in primary hypercholesterolemia and mixed dyslipidemia. Limitations of use: was not shown to reduce coronary heart disease morbidity and mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Take with food. Hypertriglyceridemia: 43–130mg/day, adjust at 4–8 week intervals; max 130mg/day. Hypercholesterolemia, dyslipidemia: 130mg/day. Renal impairment or elderly: initially 43mg/day. Discontinue if inadequate response after 2 months on max dose.
Hepatic dysfunction. Primary biliary cirrhosis. Severe renal dysfunction. Gallbladder disease. Nursing mothers.
Renal impairment (monitor). Monitor CBCs for first year; monitor liver function; discontinue if ALT (SGPT) levels >3xULN persist. Discontinue if markedly elevated CPK levels, myopathy, gallstones, hypersensitivity reactions, or paradoxical decreases in HDL-C occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid statins. Potentiates oral anticoagulants (reduce anticoagulant dose and monitor PT/INR). Allow at least 1 hour before or 4–6 hours after bile acid sequestrants. Caution with colchicine, immunosuppressants (eg, cyclosporine), other nephrotoxic drugs.
Abnormal liver function tests, elevated CPK, respiratory or GI effects, myopathy, cholelithiasis, pancreatitis, increased serum creatinine, hypersensitivity reactions (may be severe), rash; rare: rhabdomyolysis, transient hematologic changes, blood dyscrasias.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Acute Renal Failure in CKD Patients Less Likely With PCI
- Gout Associated With Increased Risk of Developing Erectile Dysfunction
- The Potential Role for PARP Inhibitors in Prostate Cancer
- More Targeted Sodium Reduction Strategies Proposed
- Cytoreductive Surgery for Metastatic PCa Linked to More Complications
- FDA Recalls Drugs Containing Active Ingredient Valsartan
- Correcting Metabolic Acidosis May Preserve Muscle Mass
- Infection Risk Lower in Dialysis Patients With High, Normal Vitamin D
- Urine Cytology May Not Improve Hematuria Evaluation for Bladder Cancer
- Aggressive Therapy Warranted for Gleason 10 Prostate Cancer
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)