Amantadine HCl Syrup Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amantadine HCl 50mg/5mL; raspberry flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amantadine HCl Syrup:
Parkinsonism. Drug-induced extrapyramidal reactions.
Parkinsonism monotherapy: initially 100mg twice daily, may increase after 1–2 weeks by 100mg daily. Serious associated illness or high doses of other antiparkinson drugs: 100mg once daily, may increase after 1 to several weeks to 100mg twice daily; max 400mg/day in divided doses. Extrapyramidal disorders: 100mg twice daily; max 300mg/day in divided doses. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose; see literature.
Adjust dose gradually. History of seizures. Heart failure. Orthostatic hypotension. Peripheral edema. Renal (CrCl <50mL/min) or hepatic dysfunction. Psychiatric disorders. Suicidal ideation. History of recurrent eczematoid rash. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CNS stimulants. Thioridazine may worsen tremor in elderly patients with parkinsonism.
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (when drug is withdrawn or dose is reduced), nausea, dizziness, insomnia, heart failure, anxiety, irritability, hallucinations, confusion, anorexia, anticholinergic effects, constipation, ataxia, livedo reticularis, peripheral edema, orthostatic hypotension, headache, somnolence, dream abnormality, diarrhea, fatigue.
Formerly known under the brand name Symmetrel.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Gadolinium-Based Contrast May Up Acute Kidney Injury Risk in CKD
- Delayed Prostate Cancer Treatment May Up Relapse Risk
- Review: Desmopressin Decreases Nocturia Episodes
- Surgery, Radiation Regimens for High-Grade PCa Offer Similar Outcomes
- Salvage Prostatectomy May Benefit Some Prostate Cancer Patients
- Changes in Renal Cell Carcinoma Pathologic Staging and Histologic Grading
- Nocturia, Overactive Bladder Improved With PTNS
- Many Americans Unaware of Promise of Personalized Medicine
- Noninferior CV Outcomes for Linagliptin in T2D With High CV, Renal Risk
- VDRAs Do Not Lower Cardiovascular Event Risk in HD
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)