ICU and hospital mortality were lower for patients with cancer versus those without cancer.
Restricting perioperative fluid for abdominal surgery patients does not reduce complications: The RELIEF trialJune 19, 2018
1. Among patients at increased risk for complications undergoing abdominal surgery, those randomized to perioperative fluid restriction did not have increased disability-free survival at one year compared to patients who received liberal perioperative fluid management. 2. Patients managed with fluid restriction experienced higher rates of acute kidney injury. Evidence Rating Level: 1 (Excellent) Study Rundown: 
Perioperative red blood cell transfusion linked to increased adjusted odds of VTE, DVT, PE.
DM tied to 6-month mortality, major complications, ICU admission, mechanical ventilation, LOS
Patients want to be listened to and well informed about the care they will receive.
Most women receive 6 weeks or less of maternity leave; most feel leave duration is inadequate.
VR effective for reducing pain and distress of even extremely painful procedures
Pharmacologic prophylaxis should be considered unless an absolute contraindication exists.
Patients more likely to dispose of unused opioids after getting information and recommendations
A1C is not associated with increased 30-day mortality after controlling for glucose
Mortality after elective surgery increases in graded manner as day of surgery approaches weekend.
Adolescent cholecystectomy and colectomy patients may be at the highest risk for persistent opioid use.
Only 36% of patients request oral opioid meds in PACU despite receiving opioid-free anesthesia.
Direct oral anticoagulants not linked to increased risk of major bleeding, death in venous thromboembolism
Quality improvement efforts focused on the link between disclosure and surgeon's wellbeing may help sustain open disclosure policies.
Patients treated in high-performing hospitals face fewer incidences of prolonged hospitalization or nursing-sensitive complications.
Renal and Urology News Articles
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)