Latest Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT) News
Adipose tissue may be more important than vitamin D intake, new study suggests.
Clinicians should be aware of these uncommon radiograph findings.
Etelcalcetide is the first new approved treatment for the condition in 12 years.
Priority should be to achieve target calcium levels or simultaneously achieving both phosphorus and iPTH levels, researchers say.
Dialysis facilities with the least control of PTH, Ca, and P had the greatest risks.
Clinical practice guidelines recommend that PTH levels be kept within specific ranges to prevent adverse outcomes.
In a small study, 50% of non-diabetic hemodialysis patients with elevated FGF-23 showed correlations with calcification in the abdominal aorta.
The syndrome is more likely to develop in younger patients and those with higher preoperative ALP levels and lower preoperative calcium levels.
Benefits over placebo were demonstrated in 2 trials involving hemodialysis patients with moderate to severe secondary hyperparathyroidism.
Good results achieved with total parathyroidectomy without autotransplantation, according to researchers.
An enzyme that inhibits vascular calcification depends on the vitamin for conversion to its active form.
Researchers caution that radiofrequency ablation should only be considered for patients ineligible for parathyroid surgery.
Each 100 pg/mL increase in parathyroid hormone was associated with 2-fold increased odds of clotting.
In a study, calcitriol showed superior efficacy compared with alfacalcidol with respect to inhibiting parathyroid hormone secretion.
Increased fractional excretion of phosphate also found to increase risk of allograft loss.
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Researchers Identify mCRPC Drug Sequence Offering the Best Survival
- Novel Calcimimetic Approved for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
- Prostate Cancer Treatment Prolongs Survival
- Misplaced Mobile Devices Lead to HHS Investigations, Millions in Fines
- PCa Salvage Radiation Plus Anti-Androgen Therapy Improves Outcomes