Promethazine DM Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Promethazine HCl 6.25mg, dextromethorphan HBr 15mg; per 5mL; liq; contains alcohol 7%.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Promethazine DM:
Cough and upper respiratory symptoms associated with allergy and common cold.
5mL every 4–6hrs; max 30mL/24hrs.
<2yrs: not recommended. 2–6yrs: 1.25–2.5mL every 4–6hrs; max 10mL/24hrs. 6–12yrs: 2.5–5mL every 4–6hrs; max 20mL/24hrs.
Concomitant MAOIs. Comatose states. Lower respiratory tract symptoms. Asthma.
Children <2yrs: potential for fatal respiratory depression. Atopic children. Compromised respiratory function (eg, COPD, apnea), signs/symptoms of Reye's syndrome or hepatic disease in children: avoid. Seizure disorder. Bone-marrow depression. Narrow-angle glaucoma. GI or GU obstruction. Peptic ulcer. Cardiovascular disease. Hepatic impairment. Debilitated. Elderly. Sedated patients or those confined to supine position. Avoid prolonged sun exposure. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Increased extrapyramidal effects with MAOIs. Concomitant epinephrine: not recommended. Increased CNS depression with concomitant CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, sedatives/hypnotics, narcotics, general anesthesia, tricyclics); may need to reduce dose. Caution with other anticholinergics. May get false pregnancy test results.
Antihistamine + antitussive.
Drowsiness, dizziness, confusion, sedation, insomnia, convulsive seizures, hallucinations, hyperexcitability, GI upset, respiratory depression, cardiovascular effects; possible neuroleptic malignant syndrome, cholestatic jaundice, blood dyscrasias.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- CROWNWeb Reporting Gets Up to Speed With Implementation of Dashboard
- Prostate Cancer Gene Testing Guidelines Issued
- Radical Nephrectomy Linked With Worse Kidney Function, Survival
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Hypoglycemia in Diabetes Pts
- USPSTF Questions Nontraditional CVD Risk Factors for Assessment
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)