Probenecid + Colchicine Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Probenecid 500mg, colchicine 0.5mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Probenecid + Colchicine:
Chronic gouty arthritis.
1 tab daily for 1 week, then 1 tab twice daily thereafter. Renal impairment, dose adjustments: see literature.
Acute gouty attack. Blood dyscrasias. Uric acid kidney stones. Children <2 yrs of age. Pregnancy. Concomitant salicylates (antagonizes uricosuric effect).
History of peptic ulcer. Spastic colon. GI, renal, hepatic, or hematological disorders. G6PD deficiency. Monitor blood counts in long-term therapy. Maintain adequate hydration. Alkalization of urine may be required. Debilitated. Elderly. Nursing mothers.
Affects renal clearance of many drugs (esp. penicillins). Potentiates methotrexate (monitor and reduce methotrexate dose). May potentiate thiopental, ketamine, NSAIDs, oral sulfonylureas, acetaminophen, lorazepam, rifampin, other sulfonamides. Pyrazinamide antagonizes uricosuric effect. May cause falsely high readings of theophylline levels, or false (+) RBC or hemoglobin in urine.
Uricosuric + antiinflammatory.
Headache, dizziness, GI upset, diarrhea, urinary frequency, sore gums, uric acid kidney stones, dermatitis, hematuria, renal colic, fever, peripheral neuritis, myopathy, anemia, blood dyscrasias, hemolytic anemia, purpura, bone marrow depression; rare: severe allergic reactions, anaphylaxis.
Formerly known under the brand name Colbenemid.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Daily Tadalafil May Be Effective for Peyronie's Disease
- High ESA and Iron Doses Up CVD, Death Risk in Hemodialysis Patients
- Diabetic CKD Patients Survive Longer With Metformin
- Tamsulosin Improves Clearance of Large Distal Ureteral Stones
- Case: Treating Iron Deficiency Anemia in a Heart Failure Patient
- Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Benefits for Metastatic RCC Demonstrated
- Phosphorus Content Higher in Packaged Meats Listing Phosphate Additives
- High Intakes of Teas, Peas, Soybeans May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk
- More Intense Treatment, Worse Quality of Life in Diabetes
- Hemodialysis CRBSI Outcomes Unaffected by Distance to Nephrologists
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)