Generic Name and Formulations:
Pneumococcal 7-valent conjugate vaccine (diphtheria CRM197 protein) 16micrograms of saccharides per 0.5mL; susp for IM inj; contains aluminum.
Indications for PREVNAR:
Immunization of infants and toddlers against invasive disease and otitis media caused by S. pneumoniae due to serotypes 4, 6B, 9V, 14, 18C, 19F, and 23F.
Each dose is 0.5mL IM into the anterolateral thigh for infants or the deltoid muscle for toddlers and children; avoid nerves and blood vessels. May pretreat with antipyretic. <6weeks: not recommended. ≥6weeks: 4 doses usually given at 2, 4, 6, and 12–15 months of age (may start at 6 weeks of age: give 1st three doses 4–8 weeks apart, and 4th dose at least 2 months after 3rd dose). Previously unvaccinated older infants and children: 7–11months of age: 3 doses (2nd dose at least 4 weeks after 1st dose, 3rd dose after 1st birthday and at least 2 months after 2nd dose); 12–23months of age: 2 doses at least 2 months apart; 2–9yrs of age: 1 dose once.
Allergies to any diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine.
May defer in acute moderate or severe febrile illness. Immunocompromised. Not a substitute for diphtheria, or for 23-valent polysaccharide pneumococcal vaccinations. Coagulation disorders. Have epinephrine inj available. Premature infants. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Inj site reactions, irritability, drowsiness, fever, restless sleep, decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, hives; rare: febrile seizures.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Daily Tadalafil May Be Effective for Peyronie's Disease
- High ESA and Iron Doses Up CVD, Death Risk in Hemodialysis Patients
- Diabetic CKD Patients Survive Longer With Metformin
- Tamsulosin Improves Clearance of Large Distal Ureteral Stones
- Case: Treating Iron Deficiency Anemia in a Heart Failure Patient
- Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Benefits for Metastatic RCC Demonstrated
- Phosphorus Content Higher in Packaged Meats Listing Phosphate Additives
- High Intakes of Teas, Peas, Soybeans May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk
- More Intense Treatment, Worse Quality of Life in Diabetes
- Hemodialysis CRBSI Outcomes Unaffected by Distance to Nephrologists
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)