Physician burnout often is caused by the breakdown of at least 1 of 6 areas of work life, including workload, control, rewards, community, fairness, and values conflicts.
The most common manifestation was disrespectful treatment by nursing or other support staff.
Emergency departments were more likely to serve higher numbers of uninsured, black, and Hispanic patients, the researchers said.
In addition to the pay gap, female physicians may leave the medical practice to take on additional work at home.
Providers need to analyze which procedures and services constitute a large portion of their practice.
Evaluating Physician Practice Options in the Shifting Health Care Landscape Part 1
Specialists need to determine the kind of payers they have and the kind of payers they want.
Readmissions did not vary with physician age, while costs of care were slightly higher among older physicians.
Market share for brand-name drugs decreased at hospitals with sales restrictions, while market share for generics increased, the researchers found.
Medical groups may need to address such issues as claims denials and failure to obtain prior authorization.
Final diagnoses were better defined/refined in 66% of cases, but in 21% of cases, final diagnoses were distinctly different than referral diagnoses.
One of the most overlooked functions of communication is establishing the patient relationship.
Medicaid expansion was associated with greater insurance coverage but also longer wait times for appointments.
MACRA carries significant reimbursement implications over the next several years.
This proposal will take steps to stabilize the marketplace, provide more flexibility to states and insurers, and give patients access to more coverage options.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Active Surveillance for Intermediate-risk Prostate Cancer Challenged
- Ferritin Spike Soon After Hemodialysis Initiation Ups Mortality Risk
- Type of Long-term Response to Targeted mRCC Therapy Affects Outcomes
- Add-on Sevelamer Therapy May Improve Hemodialysis Patient Survival
- Hypothyroidism Tied to Worse Quality of Life for HD Patients
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)