Peritoneal Dialysis Features
Peritoneal dialysis PD patients are routinely advised not to swim in a lake, a pool, or the sea.
Latest Peritoneal Dialysis News
Study of coronary artery calcification (CAC) risk also shows serum phosphorus levels associated with nutritional intake and dialysis adequacy.
New study excluded hemodialysis patients who used central venous catheters for vascular access.
Experts say that issues of cost to providers have prevented broader application of home dialysis.
Large study looked at matched pairs of lupus patients with renal disease starting dialysis with hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.
Highest survival rates found among patients whose initial dialysis modality was PD but where then switched to hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis patients are at higher risk than peritoneal dialysis and renal transplant recipients.
The risk is more than 13 times greater than with peritoneal dialysis.
Study reveals a decline in the use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents and an increase in the use of iron.
The adjusted rate fell 26.5% from 1996 to 2011, but remains much higher than in the general population.
Folic acid treatment significantly improved hemoglobin levels and decreased epoetin alfa use.
Researchers speculate patients on peritoneal dialysis are more physically active than those on HD, and this may lower diabetes risk.
Vascular calcification contributes to increased cardiovascular risk in dialysis patients.
Study of patients new to dialysis also demonstrates an increase in the likelihood of hospitalization.
No difference in time to peritoneal-dialysis-related infection with honey at exit site, usual care
PD may lower glutamate levels released into the brain during ischemic stroke, minimizing tissue damage
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)
- Plant-Based Phosphorus Best for Kidney Disease (CKD) Patients
- Optimal PSA Threshold For Targeted Biopsy Identified
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Beneficial in Diabetes Mellitus Patients
- Stopping Renal Cell Carcinoma (mRCC) Drugs Induces Tumor Flare
- Red Meat Contributes to Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Risk Due to Gut Bacteria