News In Brief
Flexible ureterorenoscopy (f-URS) is safe and effective for removing kidney stones in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD).
Analysis found that cigarette smoking was associated with a 24% overall reduction in gout risk.
Investigators report earlier bladder tumor relapse and higher risk of T-stage progression.
Acute kidney injury is common in critically ill surgical patients and is associated with worse survival.
Outcomes of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy in obese patients are mostly comparable to non-obese patients.
Large study looked at matched pairs of lupus patients with renal disease starting dialysis with hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.
FDA has approved a supplemental new drug application for Stendra (avanafil) taken early as ~15 minutes before sexual activity.
In addition to reducing serum phosphorus levels to within the recommended range, ferric citrate increases iron stores.
A study revealed an increased risk of chronic kidney disease in patients with a cumulative stone size less than 20 mm.
In a study, the 12-year prostate cancer survival rate was 61.8% for men with the mutation versus 94.3% for those without it.
Invokamet combines in a single table canagliflozin and metformin.
Researchers find an independent association in a study of Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes.
Lack of efficacy is the main reason for the switch.
Urodynamic studies for female Medicare patients increased by 29% from 2000 to 2010.
A pre-transplant history of malignancy increases the 10-year post-transplant mortality risk by 22%.
Taiwan study reveals a 25% increased risk of stroke among patients who recover from dialysis-requiring acute kidney injury.
Renal function is preserved better compared with radical nephrectomy even when tumors are larger than the traditional 4 cm cutoff.
Afrezza is administered at the start of each meal or within 20 minutes after starting a meal.
Researchers found increasing use of ureteroscopy and decreasing use of shock wave lithotripsy.
Meta-analysis demonstrates a protective effect with high intake.
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)
- Optimal PSA Threshold For Targeted Biopsy Identified
- Plant-Based Phosphorus Best for Kidney Disease (CKD) Patients
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) Beneficial in Diabetes Mellitus Patients
- Stopping Renal Cell Carcinoma (mRCC) Drugs Induces Tumor Flare
- Red Meat Contributes to Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) Risk Due to Gut Bacteria
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) Patients Benefit from Exercise Rehab
- What effect does advertising to attract patients have on perception of the medical profession?
- Prior Kidney Donor Favorable Waitlist Policy is Working
- Brown Fat Could Help Manage Diabetes
- New 5-Star Dialysis Facility Rating System To Debut