News In Brief
Younger age, preterm birth among clinical factors that predict a longer length of stay (LOS) for infants hospitalized with an urinary tract infection (UTI).
High serum levels of vitamin D may have a protective effect against bladder cancer.
Hyponatremia at time of hospital admission also increases patients' length of stay.
During 6 years of follow-up, new stone formation increased significantly in the surgery patients.
Flexible ureterorenoscopy (f-URS) is safe and effective for removing kidney stones in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD).
Review shows reduction in acute kidney injury with high-dose statins versus low-dose or placebo.
Significant association observed for high-risk prostate cancers with no difference according to daily dose.
Analysis found that cigarette smoking was associated with a 24% overall reduction in gout risk.
Investigators report earlier bladder tumor relapse and higher risk of T-stage progression.
Acute kidney injury is common in critically ill surgical patients and is associated with worse survival.
Outcomes of robot-assisted radical prostatectomy in obese patients are mostly comparable to non-obese patients.
Large study looked at matched pairs of lupus patients with renal disease starting dialysis with hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.
FDA has approved a supplemental new drug application for Stendra (avanafil) taken early as ~15 minutes before sexual activity.
In addition to reducing serum phosphorus levels to within the recommended range, ferric citrate increases iron stores.
A study revealed an increased risk of chronic kidney disease in patients with a cumulative stone size less than 20 mm.
In a study, the 12-year prostate cancer survival rate was 61.8% for men with the mutation versus 94.3% for those without it.
Invokamet combines in a single table canagliflozin and metformin.
Researchers find an independent association in a study of Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes.
Lack of efficacy is the main reason for the switch.
Urodynamic studies for female Medicare patients increased by 29% from 2000 to 2010.
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)
- Novel Hyperkalemia Drugs May Help Optimize Use of RAAS Inhibitors
- Higher Allopurinol Dose Protects Elderly From Renal Failure
- New Obesity Guidelines Recommend Nuanced Treatment
- Even High-Normal Phosphorus May Be an ESRD Risk Factor, Study Finds
- Testosterone Replacement Safe for Men With Prostate Cancer
- Metformin May Have a Protective Effect in Bladder Cancer Patients
- Antihypertensive Drug Use in Dialysis Transition May Need Improvement
- ADT Plus Radiation Improves Survival in Metastatic Prostate Cancer
- Liraglutide as Add-on to Metformin Improves Glycemic Control
- Hypercalciuria Linked to High Urinary Sodium