Methyldopa/Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyldopa, hydrochlorothiazide; 250mg/15mg, 250mg/25mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Methyldopa/Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets:
Titrate individual components. Initially one 250mg/15mg tab 2–3 times daily or one 250mg/25mg tab 2 times daily.
Active hepatic disease. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. History of methyldopa-associated liver dysfunction. Concomitant MAOIs.
History of hepatic dysfunction. Pheochromocytoma. Severe cerebrovascular or renal disease. SLE. Gout. Diabetes. Asthma. Edema. Dialysis. Postsympathectomy. Monitor blood, liver function, blood lipids, and electrolytes. Surgery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
MAOIs (see Contraindications). Alcohol, CNS depressants may increase orthostatic hypotension. May increase toxicity of diazoxide, digitalis and lithium. May antagonize oral hypoglycemics. Antagonized by NSAIDs, iron. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Central alpha agonist + diuretic.
Hemolytic anemia, fever, jaundice, hepatic necrosis, granulocytopenia, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, blurred vision, sedation, headache, asthenia, orthostatic hypotension, bradycardia, GI upset, rash, nasal congestion, hyperprolactinemia, arthralgia, positive Coomb's test.
Formerly known under the brand name Aldoril.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- CROWNWeb Reporting Gets Up to Speed With Implementation of Dashboard
- Prostate Cancer Gene Testing Guidelines Issued
- Radical Nephrectomy Linked With Worse Kidney Function, Survival
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Hypoglycemia in Diabetes Pts
- USPSTF Questions Nontraditional CVD Risk Factors for Assessment
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)