Methyldopa/Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyldopa, hydrochlorothiazide; 250mg/15mg, 250mg/25mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Methyldopa/Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets:
Titrate individual components. Initially one 250mg/15mg tab 2–3 times daily or one 250mg/25mg tab 2 times daily.
Active hepatic disease. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. History of methyldopa-associated liver dysfunction. Concomitant MAOIs.
History of hepatic dysfunction. Pheochromocytoma. Severe cerebrovascular or renal disease. SLE. Gout. Diabetes. Asthma. Edema. Dialysis. Postsympathectomy. Monitor blood, liver function, blood lipids, and electrolytes. Surgery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Central alpha agonist + diuretic.
MAOIs (see Contraindications). Alcohol, CNS depressants may increase orthostatic hypotension. May increase toxicity of diazoxide, digitalis and lithium. May antagonize oral hypoglycemics. Antagonized by NSAIDs, iron. May interfere with parathyroid tests.
Hemolytic anemia, fever, jaundice, hepatic necrosis, granulocytopenia, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, blurred vision, sedation, headache, asthenia, orthostatic hypotension, bradycardia, GI upset, rash, nasal congestion, hyperprolactinemia, arthralgia, positive Coomb's test.
Formerly known under the brand name Aldoril.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- FDA Approves Enzalutamide for Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Urine Cytology May Not Improve Hematuria Evaluation for Bladder Cancer
- Bladder Hydrodistention May Ease Nocturia in Interstitial Cystitis
- Overnight Saline Irrigation May Prevent Early NMIBC Recurrence
- 5 Key Steps to Grow Your New Nephrology or Urology Practice
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)