Latest Kidney Stones News
SWL treatment success rate was 70.4% and 53.1% for stones less than 15 mm and 15 mm or larger, respectively.
Researchers also report growing number of cases among women and children.
Study shows that it increases urine volume and decreases supersaturation with stone-forming calcium salts.
Elevated risk observed with total and supplemental, but not dietary, vitamin C intake.
The researchers found that factors associated with a higher risk of recurrent infections included type 2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and black ethnicity.
Findings based upon 24 hours versus six days of antibiotics with percutaneous nephrolithotomy
A leading authority on kidney stones proposes that urban "heat islands" may contribute to a growing prevalence of kidney stones.
Patients with distal ureteral stones were 4 times more likely to be stone free if treated in the supine rather than prone position.
Stone-free rate and expulsion time did not differ significantly between alfuzosin and tamsulosin.
Researchers observe greater efficacy of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy at 90 rather than 60 pulses per minute.
Study demonstrates a benefit in patients with distal ureteric stones 5-10 mm in diameter.
But whether this could trigger cancer or other health issues remains unclear.
Having sex 3-4 times a week was associated with a significantly greater stone passage rate than tamsulosin or standard medical therapy.
Risk of postoperative complications increased for pediatric patients at non-high volume hospitals.
Unplanned clinical visits 15 times more likely among patients treated more than 45 days after diagnosis.
Kidney Stones Videos
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)
- Twice-Weekly Dialysis May Preserve Residual Kidney Function
- Robotic Nephrectomy of Kidney Tumors With Thrombi Feasible
- How to Prevent Sexual Transmission of Zika Virus
- Parathyroidectomy Cuts Mortality Risk in Patients With Severe SHPT
- Prostate Cancer Diagnosis Ups Risk of Non-Cancer Hospitalizations