Latest Hyperuricemia News
A higher allopurinol dose was protective against renal failure in elderly allopurinol recipients.
Odds of non-fatal stroke are 49% higher in patients in the fourth quartile of uric acid level versus those in the second quartile.
Patients with inadequately controlled gout experience lower quality of life and report worse functioning.
Unlike in adults, there is no association between uric acid, cardiorenal parameters.
Patients treated with the uric acid-lowering drug were less likely to experience a greater than 10% decline in eGFR than placebo recipients.
The highest vs. lowest quartile of serum uric acid is associated with a 3.4-fold increased risk of end-stage renal disease.
Gout is associated with an elevated risk of comorbid conditions, especially hypertension and alcohol abuse.
Highest vs. lowest quartile associated with a 17% increased risk.
Association strongest with cardiovascular mortality in the elderly.
Gout is associated with an elevated likelihood of both organic and psychogenic ED.
Proteinuria, hyperphosphatemia, anemia linked more rapid annual decline in eGFR.
Gout increased the risk of erectile dysfunction in men by 21%.
Increased uric acid levels were correlated with decreased HbA1c and increased prevalence of diabetic kidney disease, study finds.
Guidelines currently don't recognize gout as a risk factor for CKD and nephrolithiasis.
The incidence of gout among CKD patients was 6.82 per 1,000 persons per year compared to 2.43 for those without the disease.
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)
- Blacks With Diabetes and CKD Have Higher CVD Risk
- Worse Re-transplant Outcomes for HIV Positive Patients
- Race, Procedure Type Influence Morbidity in Pediatric Surgery Patients
- Parathyroidectomy Rates Stable Despite Changes in Medical Therapy
- Early Recurrence After Laparoscopic Radical Cystectomy Explored