Latest Hyperphosphatemia News
Younger patients are less likely to respond to treatment with sucroferric oxyhydroxide or sevelamer.
Purgative products introduce 10 times the normal daily amount of phosphorus into the body.
Study implicates amlodipine, lisinopril, clonidine, acetaminophen, and omeprazole.
Patients also needed fewer phosphate binder pills over time.
The percentage of patients with serum phosphorus levels of 5.5 mg/dL and below more than doubled to 37.8% after 6 months of treatment with sucroferric oxyhydroxide.
The risk of end-stage renal disease was 83% higher for those who drank more than 7 glasses of diet soft drinks weekly.
It can sharply lower serum phosphorus levels and reduce dependence on phosphate binders.
In a study, 69.7% of intervention patients attained serum phosphorus levels below 5.5 mg/dL, compared with just 18.5% of control patients.
A low protein, low phosphorus diet plays an important role in the nutritional management of patients transitioning to once-weekly incremental hemodialysis.
Hyperphosphatemia was associated with more than double the risk of death from any cause.
Patients reduced dietary phosphorus without compromising protein intake.
The USDA Standard Nutrient Reference Database, for example, listed phosphorus amounts for just 5 of 46 beverages.
For each 1 mmol/L increase in serum phosphorus, the odds of left ventricular hypertrophy more than doubled.
Calcium-based binders, however, are associated with greater odds of all-cause mortality versus sevelamer.
In a study, 61% of hemodialysis patients reported accidentally forgetting to take their medication or otherwise skipping doses unintentionally.
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)
Renal and Urology News Articles
- CB-839 Drug Promising for Clear Cell, Papillary Renal Cell Cancer
- Guideline Confirmed for UTI in Children With Fever
- Survival Benefit Linked With Adjuvant RT+ADT in Lymph Node + PCa
- Reoperation Risk Highest After POP Repair With Vaginal Mesh and Sling
- AKI Is a Risk Factor for Delirium, Coma in Critically Ill