Latest Hyperphosphatemia News
In a study, 25.8% and 37.8% of calcium acetate and calcium carbonate users, respectively, exceeded the maximum recommended daily intake.
In a study 52.1% of patients receiving ferric citrate attained a 1.0 g/dL or greater increase in hemoglobin compared with just 19.1% receiving placebo.
Younger patients are less likely to respond to treatment with sucroferric oxyhydroxide or sevelamer.
Purgative products introduce 10 times the normal daily amount of phosphorus into the body.
Study implicates amlodipine, lisinopril, clonidine, acetaminophen, and omeprazole.
Patients also needed fewer phosphate binder pills over time.
The percentage of patients with serum phosphorus levels of 5.5 mg/dL and below more than doubled to 37.8% after 6 months of treatment with sucroferric oxyhydroxide.
The risk of end-stage renal disease was 83% higher for those who drank more than 7 glasses of diet soft drinks weekly.
It can sharply lower serum phosphorus levels and reduce dependence on phosphate binders.
In a study, 69.7% of intervention patients attained serum phosphorus levels below 5.5 mg/dL, compared with just 18.5% of control patients.
A low protein, low phosphorus diet plays an important role in the nutritional management of patients transitioning to once-weekly incremental hemodialysis.
Hyperphosphatemia was associated with more than double the risk of death from any cause.
Patients reduced dietary phosphorus without compromising protein intake.
The USDA Standard Nutrient Reference Database, for example, listed phosphorus amounts for just 5 of 46 beverages.
For each 1 mmol/L increase in serum phosphorus, the odds of left ventricular hypertrophy more than doubled.
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Novel Calcimimetic Approved for Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
- Prostate Cancer Treatment Prolongs Survival
- Misplaced Mobile Devices Lead to HHS Investigations, Millions in Fines
- PCa Salvage Radiation Plus Anti-Androgen Therapy Improves Outcomes
- Targeted Biopsy Improves Detection of Significant PCa in Black Men