Study reveals 15% lower odds of arteriovenous access use at hemodialysis initiation among women vs men.
New study "adds to the evidence of obesity-associated advantages," researchers conclude.
Apixaban recipients had a 28% lower risk for major bleeding compared with patients treated with warfarin.
Patterns of use, timing of hospice similar among patients with diverse spending trajectories.
FGF-23 may have an effect on adipose tissue that contributes to an obesity paradox observed in patients with end-stage renal disease.
The devices use 1 or 2 catheters placed within the blood vessels to form AVFs in the arms of patients on hemodialysis.
In a Swiss study, patients aged 80 years or more were significantly less likely to die if they had a nephrology referral prior to initiating dialysis.
Patients with vs without anemia prior to starting hemodialysis (HD) were more likely to die despite achieving target hemoglobin levels at month 4 after HD initiation.
CMS also has upcoming plans to impose fiscal penalties related to dialysis treatment.
Docs describe burnout and emotional exhaustion; moral distress at seeing suffering and injustice.
1. In this cross-sectional study, of those patients on maintenance hemodialysis that were referred to hospice care, 41.5% received care for only 3 days or less. 2. While patients who were enrolled in hospice care were less likely to die in hospital or undergo intensive procedures prior to death, they were more likely to be 
Late hospice referral may limit the benefits patients receive, according to researchers.
Study links the pain relievers to altered mental status, fall, and fracture.
1. Veterans receiving pre-end stage renal disease (ESRD) nephrology care in under the Medicare system were more likely to undergo dialysis and had a higher two-year mortality rate than veterans that received pre-ESRD care through the Department of Veteran's Affairs (VA). 2. Differences in dialysis initiation between Medicare and VA were more pronounced in patients 
Older patients who had more frequent nephrology visits prior to initiating dialysis had a lower incidence of atrial fibrillation in the year after initiating dialysis compared with those who did not.
A serum phosphate control target of 4.5 mg/dL or below in hemodialysis patients was accompanied by a decline in fibroblast growth factor 23.
In a prospective study, aspirin users were more likely to have a successful outcome following PTA for venous stenoses in arteriovenous fistulas or grafts.
Control of parathyroid hormone did not differ markedly at 48 and 72 hours after in-center HD compared with 24 hours after daily oral administration of 30 mg cinacalcet.
In a survey, nearly one-third of hemodialysis patients said they disliked fluid restriction.
Mean 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels did not differ significantly among groups receiving phosphate binders or dietary therapy.
Study of 109,501 incidental HD patients reveals an association between high mean corpuscular volume and increased risk of all-cause, cardiovascular, and infection-related mortality.
Prospective study reveals that patients on hemodialysis whose blood selenium concentrations are in the lowest decile have a 3.4-fold higher odds of death.
In a study, the 30-day readmission rate for hemodialysis patients hospitalized for cardiovascular events was 34.2%.
Global CBF declined significantly by 10% from before the start to the end of hemodialysis.
Fresenius Medical Care North America has promoted Ahmad Sharif, MD, MPH, to Chief Medical Information Officer for North America.
Patients with the highest levels of serum alkaline phosphatase were more likely to die from infections and cardiovascular causes.
In hemodialysis patients, only non-traditional risk factors such as C-reactive protein predicted non-fatal myocardial infarction and other atherosclerotic events, researchers report.
New study finds an increase in medical events and institutionalization in the months leading up to dialysis withdrawal.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Aggressive Therapy Warranted for Gleason 10 Prostate Cancer
- PET/CT May Improve Imaging of Recurrent Prostate Cancer
- Adding MRI Does Not Boost Prostate Cancer Upgrading Rate
- Both High and Low Uric Acid Levels Tied to Higher Mortality
- Trulicity Labeling Updated to Include Data on T2D Patients With CKD
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)