ERA-EDTA Congress Annual Meeting Coverage
The magnitude of the increased risk was similar to that of having a previous cardiovascular event.
In a small study, each 1 mL/min/1.73 m2 decrease in eGFR was associated with a significant 0.020 mmol/L increase in serum sodium.
Patients discharged on Fridays and Saturday are more likely to be readmitted within 30 days than those discharged Sunday through Thursday.
The association is particularly pronounced in younger patients with higher levels of proteinuria.
Their risk of a stroke was 46% lower than that of dialysis patients.
Austrian study finds a death rate in winter of 1.60 deaths per 100 patient-months compared with 1.06 deaths per 100 patient-months in summer.
In a study, hemodialysis patients with more than 14 decayed, missing, or filled teeth had a 67% increased risk of death.
Increasing ASA scores are associated with an increasing likelihood of post-operative acute kidney injury.
Use of the protocol, which is based on left ventricular end-diastolic pressure, was associated with a 59% relative risk reduction.
Highest survival rates found among patients whose initial dialysis modality was PD but where then switched to hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis patients are at higher risk than peritoneal dialysis and renal transplant recipients.
A nearly 5-fold higher risk of Clostridium difficile infection observed in patients with end-stage renal disease requiring dialysis.
Other risk factors include diabetes, increasing age, and increasing dialysis vintage; higher albumin levels reduce the risk.
Study reveals a more rapid decline in annual eGFR among individuals whose parents had cardiovascular disease.
An Israeli study shows that serum uric acid levels can be a clinically useful nutritional marker.
Drug found to benefit children with renal angiomyolipomas associated with tuberous sclerosis complex.
In a study, South-Asian and white European diabetics showed similar declines in eGFR over five years.
In a small study, taurolidine-heparin-citrate locks improved bacteremia-free catheter survival versus heparin-only locks.
Increased rate of acute kidney injury observed with the use of gentamicin plus flucloxacillin after orthopedic surgery.
The increasing popularity of processed convenience foods could be a factor.
- Perineural Invasion Predicts Prostate Cancer Bone Metastasis
- Phosphate Binder Adherence Challenging for Dialysis Patients
- Combo Superior for Overactive Bladder in BPH Patients
- Acupuncture May Ease Hot Flashes from Androgen Deprivation Therapy
- Why Heart Safety of Testosterone in Older Men Remains a Concern
- Erectile Function Worsens In Most Men After Prostate Biopsy
- Transperineal Prostate Biopsy Better for PCa Risk Statification
- Androgen Deprivation for Localized Prostate Cancer Ups Cardiac Risks
- Upping Shock Wave Frequency Improves Ureteral Stone Clearance
- High-Grade Prostate Cancer Linked to Low Testosterone
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)