CORTISPORIN OINTMENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocortisone 1%, polymyxin B (as sulfate) 5000 Units/g, neomycin (as sulfate) 0.35%, bacitracin (as zinc) 400 Units/g.
Indications for CORTISPORIN OINTMENT:
Short-term use in corticosteroid-responsive dermatoses with secondary infection.
Apply sparingly and massage in 2–4 times daily.
Do not use in eyes, external ear canal if eardrum perforated. Tuberculous, fungal, or viral lesions.
Intertrigo, diaper or stasis dermatitis or ulceration, extensive burns (neomycin may be absorbed). Avoid prolonged use or on large areas. Use lowest effective dose. Monitor for HPA axis suppression; avoid abrupt cessation if used for chronic conditions. Discontinue if infection persists or worsens or if superinfection occurs. Occlusion: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Steroid + antibiotics.
Local irritation, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, dermatitis, sensitization, ototoxicity, nephrotoxicity (if neomycin is significantly absorbed), HPA axis suppression (esp. in children), epidermal and dermal atrophy (esp. in thin-skinned or occluded areas).
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Tamsulosin Improves Clearance of Large Distal Ureteral Stones
- Calciphylaxis in CKD Patients Linked to Hypercoagulable Conditions
- Post-Parathyroidectomy Calcium Requirement Linked to Preop ALP
- Sucroferric Oxyhydroxide Efficacy Similar to That of Sevelamer
- Ceruloplasmin a Possible Marker of CKD in Sickle Cell Anemia
- Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Benefits for Metastatic RCC Demonstrated
- Phosphorus Content Higher in Packaged Meats Listing Phosphate Additives
- High Intakes of Teas, Peas, Soybeans May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk
- More Intense Treatment, Worse Quality of Life in Diabetes
- Hemodialysis CRBSI Outcomes Unaffected by Distance to Nephrologists
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)