Generic Name and Formulations:
Clonidine HCl 0.1mg, 0.2mg, 0.3mg; tabs.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for CATAPRES:
Initially 0.1mg twice daily. Usual range 0.2–0.6mg daily in divided doses; max 2.4mg/day.
Sinus node dysfunction. AV block. Pheochromocytoma: not effective. Conduction disturbances. Renal dysfunction. Avoid abrupt cessation. If local reaction occurs from patch, using tabs may cause generalized rash. Discontinue 4hrs before surgery; resume as soon as possible after surgery. Patch: remove before defibrillation, cardioversion, or MRI. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by tricyclic antidepressants. Potentiates CNS depressants. Orthostatic regulation disturbances (eg, orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, fatigue) possible with neuroleptics. Monitor heart rate in patients receiving agents known to affect sinus node function or AV nodal conduction (eg, digitalis, calcium channel blockers, β-blockers).
Central alpha agonist.
Dry mouth, dry eye, drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, constipation, sedation, rash, myalgia, urticaria, nausea, insomnia, agitation, orthostatic hypotension, impotence, arrhythmias.
Renal and Urology News Articles
- Tamsulosin Improves Clearance of Large Distal Ureteral Stones
- Calciphylaxis in CKD Patients Linked to Hypercoagulable Conditions
- Post-Parathyroidectomy Calcium Requirement Linked to Preop ALP
- Sucroferric Oxyhydroxide Efficacy Similar to That of Sevelamer
- Ceruloplasmin a Possible Marker of CKD in Sickle Cell Anemia
- Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Benefits for Metastatic RCC Demonstrated
- Phosphorus Content Higher in Packaged Meats Listing Phosphate Additives
- High Intakes of Teas, Peas, Soybeans May Increase Prostate Cancer Risk
- More Intense Treatment, Worse Quality of Life in Diabetes
- Hemodialysis CRBSI Outcomes Unaffected by Distance to Nephrologists
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)