Generic Name and Formulations:
Adenosine 3mg/mL; soln for IV inj; preservative-free.
Astellas Pharma US, Inc.
Indications for ADENOCARD:
Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT), including that associated with accessory bypass tracts (Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome).
Give peripherally by rapid bolus either directly into vein or through IV line (followed by saline flush) over 1–2 seconds. Initially 6mg; if no result within 1–2 mins, may give 12mg; may repeat a second 12mg dose if needed. Max 12mg/dose.
<50kg: Give centrally or peripherally by rapid IV bolus, followed by saline flush. Initially 0.05–0.1mg/kg; if no conversion of PSVT within 1–2 mins, may give incrementally higher doses, increasing the amount by 0.05–0.1mg/kg. Continue until sinus rhythm is established, or max single dose of 0.3mg/kg is used. ≥50kg: as adult.
Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block, sick sinus syndrome, unless paced.
Attempt vagal maneuvers, when clinically advisable, before administration. Discontinue if high-level heart block occurs. Avoid in asthma. Obstructive lung disease (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Discontinue if severe respiratory difficulties occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Concomitant digoxin +/– verapamil may cause ventricular fibrillation. Potentiated by dipyridamole. Antagonized by methylxanthines (eg, caffeine, theophylline). Carbamazepine may increase degree of heart block.
Facial flushing, dyspnea, chest pressure, nausea, headache, lightheadedness, numbness, arrhythmias at time of conversion; rare: ventricular fibrillation.
Prefilled syringes (2mL, 4mL)—10
Renal and Urology News Articles
- FDA Approves Enzalutamide for Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Urine Cytology May Not Improve Hematuria Evaluation for Bladder Cancer
- Bladder Hydrodistention May Ease Nocturia in Interstitial Cystitis
- Overnight Saline Irrigation May Prevent Early NMIBC Recurrence
- 5 Key Steps to Grow Your New Nephrology or Urology Practice
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
NEPHROLOGY & UROLOGY NEWS
- Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)
- Contrast Nephropathy
- Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- End-stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Lupus Nephritis
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism (SHPT)